AIS sustainability operations are a core mission at the policy level under clear predetermined guidelines. They incorporate economic, social and environmental concerns, which cover both ethical and transparent business operations under the principles of good corporate governance, and innovating to improve the quality of products and services.
They also support communities to access and use technology appropriately, to deliver a better quality of life for Thai people with digital technology and good security standards.
AIS also gives priority to ensuring that its workforce has the potential to cope with continuous business growth. Concerning the environment, AIS promotes the efficient use of energy to reduce greenhouse gas emissions,while partnering with other sectors to build awareness about the correct disposal of electronic waste. This strategy is driven by the passion of AIS teams to build sustainability into their organization.
For these reasons, AIS has been ranked in the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI), in both the DJSI World and Emerging Markets Indices.
AIS CEO Somchai Lertsutiwongcommented, “AIS is committed to building sustainability to support powering the digital economy to create mutual development and growth. We operate our business in a framework of sustainable development, including economic, social and environmental dimensions which incorporate the interests of all our stakeholders through creating digital products and services which can level up quality of life and enhance the potential of our business to make things happen, and bring about genuine change through their application.”
- Muang Thai Insurance deploys Oracle cloud ERP towards organizations in the digital world
- KBank and Central Department Store to launch Central at K+ market on K PLUS
Operations under the sustainable development framework cover economics, society and the environment. Each has working strategies consistent with the social context which enable AIS to achieve concreteresults. These include:
Economically: Two key targets of working with over 80 partners in 2020 are:1. Creating products and services with digital innovation and the AIS 5G network to upgrade Thais’ quality of life2. Promoting potential of the business sector, and developing systems to prevent cyber threats and protect customers’ personal data to a credible standard
Socially: AIS gives priority to giving its employees the means to cope with change and support business expansion in a context of digital disruption. “FIT FUN FAIR” represents a corporate culture encouraging a diversity of ideas and supporting employees to develop their potential to meet business challenges and create common goals. Alongside this is the commitment to create quality livings in Thai society with digital infrastructure. The company also promotes Thai people to use technology creatively, securely and appropriately.
Environmentally: Operations are focused on a continuous reduction of environmental impacts, with three core programs:
• Efficient energy usage, such as installing base station equipment which is compatible with different technologies, improving the efficiency of electrical power distribution and expanding the Virtual Machine Server system to save energy. In 2020, these operations were able to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 75,590 tons of CO2 equivalent.
• Using renewable energy to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and continually increasing the share of renewables in the energy mix. In 2020 the company installed solar panels at 2,747 base stations, as well as 4 data centers and mobile switching center.These renewable energy sources were able to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 3,503 tons of CO2 equivalent in 2020.
• Reducing waste: Over 6.7 million customers have been persuaded to join in conserving the environment by reducing paper and switching to e-bills, while also being made aware of separating electronic waste (E-Waste). Today the company has collected over 234,463 pieces of E-waste in collaboration with partners to set up over 2,400 drop-off points nationwide.
“Our being chosen as a member of Dow Jones’ Sustainability Indices this year, including both the DJSI World Index and DJSI Emerging Markets Index, is a source of motivation for us and another confirmation of AIS teams’ dedication to creating sustainable growth and resilience of digital infrastructure for the Thai people. AIS has applied DJSI principles of evaluation as part of our operations plans. This has enabled us tomanage our organization sustainably in the interests of every group of stakeholders, and aligned with international standards. In the end, this also benefits the country overall,” concluded Somchai.