SCG expands its portfolio to provide a wider range of solutions to address evolving needs. It provides solutions for the constantly-changing world with “Energy Transition Solutions, Health and Medical Solutions, Digital Logistics, Green Solutions, Smart Living Solutions, and Artificial Intelligence Solutions” to help consumers live “affordably, safely, conveniently, and environmentally friendly.” It is confident that these are high-potential businesses that will fulfill ASEAN and global market demands in the future with the investment budget of 100,000 million baht within 5 years.
Roongrote Rangsiyopash, President and CEO of SCG, said, “The world is undergoing rapid change. We face unforeseen events and must adapt to them, such as wearing masks, making our homes conducive to working from home, and shopping online. Due to labor shortages and high energy prices, the business sector is adopting digital technologies and clean energy to cut costs and boost productivity while conducting social responsibility and environmental stewardship to pass resources to the next generation. SCG aims to develop innovative solutions for the future to meet new customer needs in areas where they can live affordably, safely, conveniently, and environmentally friendly.
These solutions include Energy Transition Solutions, Health and Medical Solutions, Digital Logistics, Green Solutions, Smart Living Solutions, and Artificial Intelligence Solutions, all of which are intended to satisfy future ASEAN and global market demands, and SCG is confident that these high-demand businesses will drive growth and strengthen the company. SCG is prepared to invest 100,000 million baht worldwide over the next five years.”
Energy Transition Solutions. Anyone can have easy, affordable, and environmentally friendly access to clean energy.
- Solar Energy for the residential segment. SCG Solar Roof Solutions are introduced for plants, industrial estates, large-scale buildings, hospitals, hotels, and department stores. These buildings are outfitted with energy transition solutions in the smart grid smart platform, as well as a smart network that efficiently manages the purchase and sale of clean energy. It has a current capacity of over 195 megawatts and aims to reach 3,000 megawatts within five years.
- Heat Battery. SCG develops heat batteries or high-efficiency thermal energy storage that can convert the electrical energy obtained from solar into thermal energy, storing heat for use during the absence of sunlight and averting energy shortages.
- Biomass and Biocoal. SCG develops biomass and biocoal from agricultural waste materials and refused derived fuel (RDF) to be used as alternative fuels in cement plants in an effort to reach Net Zero. It also develops wood pallets to bring about opportunities for Thailand to become an exporter of clean fuels by 2027.
- EV Solution Platform, which consists of
- Acetylene Black. It is used as a component in rechargeable lithium-ion batteries for electric vehicles and as a material for producing high-voltage power transmission cables for offshore wind power. It is produced through SCGC’s joint venture with Denka, Japan.
- EV Fleet Solution. The solution offers a comprehensive array of services, including electric vehicle supply, insurance, maintenance, and charging stations, as well as rental, freight, and staff pick-up and drop-off services. It is anticipated to facilitate the use of electric vehicles in Thailand. By 2022, the company aims to deliver 492 EVs with a 6400-ton reduction in greenhouse gas emissions; by 2023, it aims to achieve annual emissions of 9,600 tons.
Health and Medical Solutions to meet healthcare needs and the aging society.
- Expand to Medical Supplies and Labware with access to more than 15,000 items after SCGP acquired shares of Deltalab, Spain. For example, Deltaswab collects samples from the body, whereas Cryoinstant provides a tube for cold sample storage.
- SCGC™ PP and PVC medical-grade plastic resins for the manufacture of medical and pharmaceutical devices such as syringes, cables, saline bags, and blood bags, including solutions to improve the quality of life for healthcare workers and patients, such as Smart Medication Cart, Sharps Disposal Bin, Isolation Capsule for Air Transportation, and VEROGARD face masks.
Digital logistics. With a network spanning across ASEAN and China, it is the ASEAN’s largest integrated logistics and supply chain service provider, managed by SCGJWD. It offers logistics services to all industries across land, ship, rail, and air, as well as support for goods that need special care, such as vaccines, medications, high-value artwork, cars, frozen food, and hazardous goods.
Green Solutions. The solution reduces resource consumption and encourages consumers to use eco-friendly products and services. Currently, 232 products carry the SCG Green Choice label. SCG has a goal of increasing sales from 50% to 67% by 2030.
- CPAC Green Solution, an end-to-end and environmentally friendly construction technology, helps improve the construction industry through its ability to deliver faster completion, less construction waste, and lower labor costs. Examples include CPAC Drone Solution, CPAC BIM, CPAC 3D Printing, and CPAC Bridge Solution. The company’s growth target for 2023 is 30%.
- Innovative environmentally friendly polymers SCGC GREEN POLYMER offers four solutions: Reduce, Recyclable, Recycle, and Renewable. Examples include packaging of household items/cosmetics and LDPE coating film. EcoBioPlas accelerates the degradation of polypropylene, or PP, to help stimulate biodegradation to solve the problem of plastics that have escaped into the environment.
- SCGC invests in KRAS Group, a leader in integrated waste materials management from the Netherlands, to increase the production capacity of PCR. It also signed a memorandum of understanding with Braskem, a global leader in bioplastics from Brazil, to study the feasibility of investing in bioplastics manufacturing plants in Thailand to produce bio-based polyethylene or Bio-PE.
- Eco-friendly food packaging innovations, such as Fest by SCGP food packaging and recyclable paper tray packaging innovations for fresh, chilled food. These products help preserve the food’s freshness, cleanliness, and safety. In addition, innovative OptiBreath® packaging is introduced to store and extend the shelf life of fruits and vegetables and reduce food waste.
Smart Living Solutions, for convenient, comfortable, and healthy living with smart technology
- Clean air and energy-saving solutions for smart buildings, such as SCG Bi-ion and SCG HVAC Air Scrubber, which are installed at the Queen Sirikit National Convention Center, the site of the APEC 2022 Thailand Summit, department stores such as Terminal 21, Central Ayutthaya, Chulabhorn Research Institute, Siriraj Hospital, Rajavithi Hospital, Ratchaphiphat Hospital, and educational institutions such as Vajiravudh College. Smart Home Solutions, such as SCG Active Air Quality and SCG Active AIRflowTM System, air transfer and cooling solutions controlled by Trinity technology, are introduced to the home and condominium market.
- Health and safety care systems with DoCare, a technology that connects homes to hospitals, providing real-time data submission, follow-up, and consultation with a doctor, as well as an assistance alert system for unusual occurrences such as falls.
- Digital technologies for simpler and more convenient living, such as COTTO X ONE, a smart-talking faucet with “Voice Interface,” a voice command control that conserves water and reduces the risk of infection. It also includes a brain-computer interface (BCI) that allows paralyzed patients to operate and control their living environments and devices and communicate with others more conveniently.
Artificial Intelligence Solutions helps reduce costs, time, and labor shortages while increasing productivity by using digital technology in the production process.
- Holistic Smart Farming with recorded growth of 20%. Siam Kubota is presented to promote farmers’ efforts to boost productivity, improve precision farming, and reduce costs with the Internet of Things (IoT) technology, such as Automated Vegetable Planter and Self-driving Farm Tractors. Kubota also offers tractors powered by clean energy with the ability for fast recharging, which reduces carbon dioxide emissions.
- Machinery-Automation provides mechanical design and manufacturing services to factories with various needs. Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning are adopted from manufacturing, assembling, packing, conveying, and warehousing systems, such as mechanically assisted automotive assembly lines, automated goods sorting systems, and shrimp sorting machines.
“I firmly believe that every solution developed by SCG will help people live affordably, safely, and conveniently. And we will pass on resources to the next generation in accordance with ESG 4 Plus practice. At the same time, we remain committed to researching and developing new solutions to meet all the ever-changing global circumstances.” Roongrote concluded.